Tuesday 20 April 2010

My first century - 17th April 2010

Guys, I am not talking about Cricket here. Cycling is the sport.

I did my first 100 Km + cycling and that too on my 6 speed BSA Mach II (which is a highly relaible bike)

A recce for the Bangalore Bicycle Championships (BBCh) race to be held on 18th April 2010 was my intention (yeah... I know, I am not supposed to do such stupid things before the race day, but I had too much of energy and thought... why not)

I had to go running in the morning (training for Sunfeast 10K), but I never realised when I switched the alarm off ;) Finally got up at 6:45 as my kids never let me sleep beyond that (13 month old twin boys want to get up and play too). I had a lazy breakfast and finally started at 9:45 AM. As there was no one else coming with me, there was no pressure on the starting time. I was caught up by Arun (a new 'to be' cyclist) within 10 minutes of the start and had a hold up for 10 minutes explaining "Road Bikes Vs Mountain Bikes" and which dealer stores what bikes etc etc.

The initial 15Kms up to Hebbal flyover is a regular route to office for me. From there turned right on the Bellary road and went ahead and I turned left at the Doddaballapur junction and was asked to turn right at the police station, only to realise that I was back on bellary road... which was the correct way to go (last I went was as a kid, so no memories of the route for sure). I kept pedalling away and stopped for a Tender Coconut break near Olde Bangalore. Back on the saddle again, past the airport and I see Devanahalli and yet no sign of the turn to Nandi Hills. I can see the obscure shape of two huge mountains far ahead of me. I checked my Garmin, it said 38Kms and I was getting worried... "I have a race tomorrow and atleast 38 Kms to cycle back and considering doing the race route once, another 35 Kms atleast" and it was an amazing summer noon sun beating down on me.

I reached the turn to Nandi when my Garmin showed exactly 45 Kms. Started to Idli point and had another Tender Coconut stop. I was carrying about 3 litres of water of which atleast 1.5 Litres were already missing. I found the 8.5 Kms to idly point never ending and the little inclines was hitting me already. Then the left turn and some more incline. I was ready to hitch a ride, the only issue was that, there was nobody around to offer one. I was looking forward to the good descents that Sriram was talking about, but other than some small ones, nothing came. Then came the killer, it had been a long time since I had stopped and pushed my cycle, I did that for the second half of the incline and then went happily down the descent with a max speed of 55 Kmph and did not pedal until I hit the first double road hump at the Nandi Village. Stopped at a store to buy water and an Amul Buttermilk and back on the saddle again. The chain had come off only four times until now and thankfully there were no other problems.

I decided that I will take a Volvo from the airport stop. I stopped at Devanahalli for another Tender Coconut. 3pm, no lunch and wanting a break, I got off the bike to drink the cocnut water. The shop guy was telling another guy "I can bet anything you cannot ride this bike", they asked me for a ride and I obliged since it was my favorite Mach II ;). He tried for a few meters, another guy got him off and rode away and the shop guys were having a big laugh at the guy trying to ride. I said "who the hell is he" and in reply came, "Oh dont worry, he will come back". I waited for a few more minutes and no sign of my bike, I started fuminng and started walking in the direction of where this guy had cycled to. I see the chain has just continued and somebody else is now riding my bike another 300 meters down the road. I got furious and screamed at the guy. Back again on the bike, I cycled hard to hit the airport at 80 Kms odo and stood for some time. A few Volvo's went by and nobody thought I was fit to board the bus. I told myself... 80... why not a century and started off again. Hit the century at the Yelahanka Police station, stood at the bus stop, then sat down and then laid down for 2 minutes. No bus wanted to give a poor cyclist a drop, so, I said 100 up what the hell is another few kms going to do to me.

But the heat again took a toll and I was ready to give up by Hebbal. Stopped at a street orange juice vendor and had two glass full and stopped a bus, this time atleast he stopped. Driver was looking at me (oh the poor man looks half dead) and asking me where I wanted to go, but the conductor was incharge and told me clearly..."no cycles on board my bus please". 15 Kms left, I have done 110 already. let me finish it.

Cycled all the way back home with no further abnormal activity. People there thought, I am just about to go over the line with my head (bonkers). The first 1 hour was okay and the feeling of achieving the feat is satisfying, but overall the ride, in hindsight was good, but not enjoyable at all. But, what the heck, I want to do it again and do it right. Waiting for my Fuji Cross Pro :)

No comments:

Post a Comment